Thursday, August 10, 2006

The "Not Nicole" Bag

After seeing THIS bag in a recent issue of InStyle magazine, I thought "I can knit that." In just a couple of hours, I have something that looks a lot like it (with a few changes). I don't think I can call this "my pattern" since it's a basic cable. Ideas were borrowed from HERE and HERE. Thanks to Lani and Obsidian Kitten for pointing those links out!! It was pretty easy to figure out, even for a beginner like me that's never knitted cables before, and so far I'm happy with the progress. It still needs to be lined / have the handles sewn on. But this is how it's done:

The "Not Nicole" Bag

Materials:
*1 skein Brown Sheep Company's Lamb's Pride Bulky in Creme. You could also use Lion Brand's Wool-Ease Thick & Quick. (note: I used almost EXACTLY one skein of the Lamb's Pride Bulky. It might be good to have a little extra, just in case you need a tidbit more.)
*Size 13 needles
*Cable needle (note: after trial and error, I discovered that a larger cable needle works best with the size 13 needles; I tried using a small cable needle at first and it was really difficult. I used the largest cable needle I could find.)
*Two round wooden handles (mine have a 6" diameter.)
*Fabric for lining
*Sewing machine or needle and thread to sew lining
*Ribbon or brooch for embellishment.

Pattern:
CO 60 sts.

Row 1: K2, p2, k4, p8, k4, p2, k4, p8, k4, p2, k4, p8, k4, p2, k2.
Row 2: P2, k2, p4, k8, p4, k2, p4, k8, p4, k2, p4, k8, p4, k2, p2.
Row 3: Same as Row 1.
Row 4: Same as Row 2.
Row 5: Same as Row 1.
Row 6: Same as Row 2.
Row 7: Same as Row 1.
Row 8: P2, k2, p4, slip 4 sts to cable needle & hang to back, k4, k4 sts from cable needle, p4, k2, p4, slip 4 sts to cable needle & hang to front, k4, k4 sts from cable needle, p4, k2, p4, slip 4 sts to cable needle & hang to front, k4, k4 sts from cable needle, p4, k2, p2.
Repeat rows 1-8 until you have 48 rows.

BO.

Finishing:
Block to 12" tall by 14" wide. Sew up side seams leaving 1" at the top of each side to make it easy to open the bag. Should measure 6" tall by 14" wide. Sew in lining. Sew on handles of your choice. Stick on that ribbon or brooch -- change 'em often to celebrate the versatility of your new bag. Congrats! You have a nifty new bag.

3 Comments:

Blogger Knitted_Painting said...

yay! I saw that bag a while ago and it's funny how you and the other women just made them yourselves and the designers dare to ask like 200 dollars for it! lol
I'm actually thinking of using your pattern for my first cable project so that if I run into problems I can ask you..if that's ok? the other pattern for the Garnstudio bag kind of confuses me right now so if I do your pattern first I might be able to understand the GS one better afterwards^_^
Oh and I usually think CrochetCabana is pretty usefull aswell as CrochetMe they also have loads of patterns and then ofcourse there is Crochetville where you can go for advice,patterns,CAL or whatever and there is always someone there so you get a fast respond^_^

10:18 AM  
Blogger Knitted_Painting said...

oops forgot to put a link in for Crochetville. Sorry for the long post btw lol I ramble sometimes^_^

10:19 AM  
Blogger MsFortuknit said...

Note! You knit well for being a beginner hun! I think that you should give yourself more credit@ Your so great! Thanks also for the nice comments hun!
Hope that all is well!

PS This bag is kinda cute!

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home