Sunday, July 16, 2006

Today is magic picture day! . . . and let there be cake!

Because the pictures keep on comin'!

This is the fabulous yarn purchased from The Knit Nook. Notice that the yarn is mostly Brown Sheep Company. This was not on purpose . . . I must just really like their yarn.

The ever-growing needle stash . . . all of my straight needles are showcased in this lovely orange cup.


Here is Ms. Tawnyatay showing off the handles purchased at Hobby Lobby for my soon-to-be-knit cabled purse (which is going to be created using the cream colored Lamb's Pride Bulky pictured above.)


Oh, you want more pictures? Okay, one more.

This is what I've knit today, so far . . . it's 25 rows of sleeve . . . that's 4 sets of increases that I haven't messed up yet. I think I just needed to knit when my mind was clear.


* * *


And that's it for the pictures . . . I think.

In other news, today is my man's birthday, so . . . Happy Birthday to My Man!

I baked him a cake with homemade icing, and it's quite ugly. The icing is caramel and hardens really quickly, so I kept having to add cream and mix it again, even while I was icing the cake. If you want to bake your own ugly cake, here's how . . .

How to bake the cake: Do what the back of the box tells you to, yo! I used Pillsbury classic yellow cake mix.

How to make the caramel icing:

You will need 1 stick of butter, 1 cup of packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup of heavy cream (and then some), 1 16 oz. box of confectioner's sugar and 1 t. of pure vanilla extract.

To make it, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the brown sugar and cream and bring it to a boil. When it comes to a boil, transfer that steaming hot concoction to a mixing bowl and add the confectioiner's sugar and the vanilla. Use a handheld mixer to mix the icing until it reaches spreading consistency. It will probably get all hard and thick, in which case you add more cream, a little at a time. Ta-da . . . homemade caramel icing.

I think I'm going to blame my mixer for the cake being ugly. When I was halfway through mixing the icing, my handheld mixer just broke. Suddenly it stopped working and the air smelled like burnt electronics. I had to switch to another mixer, and quickly so the icing wouldn't get too hard.

I need to knit. And fix my hair. And get dressed. Tonight I will be going out to dinner with my boy and his family, and I don't want to look like poo.

I think I will play around on the internet first.

Cheers, and happy knitting!!

2 Comments:

Blogger Knitted_Painting said...

happy birthday to your man! hope you had fun going out^_^ it was my MIL-to be's birthday yesterday aswell^_^ I'm sure the cake wasn't ugly...I think you need to throw that mixer out lol!
btw how do you get your hair to look that kool? mines always flat and crap..never does what I want it to!lol

5:35 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to the man!
And despite the cake's ugliness, I am sure it tasted fabulous. All it takes is practice.

Your stash is going to grow and grow. I began with one pair of # 8 needles and Red Heart Supersaver yarn, two plus years ago. My stash did grow out of control at one point. But a year ago I made myself a pledge to use the stash I had. And I have done it. I have also collected books, and gazillions of needles. OIY! You are on the beginnings of the "knit wave." It's gonna grow and grow...

11:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home